Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Noble Bargain

Posted by A Drop of Romeo at 1:41 AM

A Noble Bargain by XxScriboLegoxX
1778, a young girl is desperate to get her crumbling family through the war unscathed, even if it means making a desperate bargain with one of the King's men. American Revolution.
Banner Credit: Melissa

Melissa Thinks: I learned more from this story than I did in my American Studies class. From what I can tell, all of the facts are true; the author is a history major. The writing is very believable for the time it's supposed to take place during. The grammar could be tightened up a bit, but it was hardly a problem for me. Elizabeth plays a strong female role and her struggle is commendable. I'm not even a big fan of historical fiction, nor am I of love triangles, yet I found this one captivating and very intriguing.

When Elizabeth's father is arrested for being a traitor to the British crown, he leaves his three young children without a strong hand on their farm. So being the oldest, Elizabeth finds herself in a bind. To break free, she goes to the man in charge: the colonel. In exchange for her father's freedom, she offers her virtue; anytime he needs a warm body to fill his bed with, he can call upon her. This becomes problematic for a few reasons: he's English, she's American, and she soon finds herself having feelings for another man. How does she decide what is right? You'll have to read and find out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Drop of Romeo Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea