Friday, October 11, 2013

The Wingwoman

Posted by A Drop of Romeo at 2:24 PM
The Wingwoman by White Rose Blossom
Jace spread his arms. "I'm right here, Lex." My heart skipped a beat. "Uhm, no thanks, you probably have cooties and other diseases." Jace, man-whore that he was, was one of my best friends, not to mention my house mate. So falling for him probably wasn't a good idea, right? Shit. This is why I needed a dog.
Banner Credit: Marta

Ali Thinks: "The Wingwoman" is the epitome of everything that's great about the best friend cliché. And, let's be real honest here: who doesn't love a good best friend story? (If to this question the voice in you made an indignant cry of "me!" get ready to rethink that notion.)

Lex is the perfect wing woman for her best friend and roommate, Jace. Except for the fact that she likes him. But, you know, other than that, the arrangement is perfect. Girls come up to her when the two of them go out to bars (with the same not-so-subtle line, "You're so lucky!") and she calls Jace over so said girl of the night can throw herself at him.

Because of this, there's obviously going to be tension between the two. And sometimes, in girl and best friend stories, this tension can be overdone with all of the "omg he spoke to me which is so weird because we're best friends. I'm currently naming our four children but I don't like him, obviously, that's crazy but my heart stops whenever I look at him." However, White Rose Blossom knew how to handle this and Lex's and Jace's relationship panned out fantastically and realistically at the same time.

It's a bit lengthy for a one-shot, since it is almost 12,000 words, but it goes by in the blink of an eye. Those that do love girl and best friends stories are probably long gone by now, already immersing themselves in "The Wingwoman," so for those that still need a bit convincing, I say: there's fun characters, great writing, and it's happy... why would you not read it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Drop of Romeo Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea