Friday, June 20, 2014

Touch of Fever

Posted by A Drop of Romeo at 1:41 PM
Touch of Fever by Laura Stargazer
Unseen and unheard, she walks around the kingdom, touching people who do not feel her until it is too late. "I hate who I am sometimes. I hate what I do. I hate my very existence."
Banner Credit: Marta
Rosie Thinks: One of my favourite story tropes of all time is when the author takes us into the mind of someone who is widely
considered evil or the villain, and shows us their true nature (Maleficent, anyone?). This is what Lauren Stargazer has done here - she's taken on the myth of Pestilence (at least, that's my interpretation of it). In this story, Pestilence is a lonely woman who none can see, but all feel the effects of her touch.

The narrative is fairly simple, but this story doesn't need flowery words to convey its message. Instead, the simplicity enhances the sadness the story contains. I really loved how she has woven a number of stories into the one narrative. Each of her victims has a backstory and while some of them were cliche, the detail and care given to each one really showed the narrator's character. Just the mood the author created was melancholy yet beautiful. Another fantastic one-shot that's worth a read if you're looking for something different!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Drop of Romeo Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea