Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Side Effects of Forgetting

Posted by A Drop of Romeo at 2:00 PM
Kellan can't remember how he's supposed to act, but he thinks it probably doesn't involve making friends with the lunatic girl-next-door and letting his best friend put his hand down his pants.
Banner Credit: MajordlyFantastic

Rosie Thinks: Last year, I went through a stage where I lived and breathed seventhswan's stories, and read pretty much every one of her stories. So I'm pretty pumped to be reviewing one of them! This story is technically a one-shot, because it has only one chapter - but don't let that fool you. It has 32k words, so I think 'novella' is a more accurate term! Don't let this turn you off - some of the best slash stories I've read on FP have been super long one-shots!

Seventhswan says at the beginning that she's not a fan of the number of cliches she's included in this story. And yes, there are a few, but seventhswan makes each of them her own. I've read quite a few amnesia stories, but this one stands out among the others. I love the way it's started, how Kellan doesn't realise at first that he can't remember his name, let alone why he is in hospital. He assumes, at first, that everything is fine - and from my own experience, this rang so true. You don't realise at first that there are huge gaps in your memory, until you try and actually remember! So what I'm getting at is that despite her use of cliches, seventhswan's fantastic writing makes them into something new and something that I'm eager to read. Then again, the story didn't go the cliche way I thought it would, which was a very nice twist!

The writing is incredibly easy to read. It flows perfectly and is straight to the point, giving a great characterisation to Kellan within the first few minutes of reading. I like how the characters are flawed. They have no idea what they really want, which is exactly like real life! They're fumbling through life, trying to make the most of it, and it was fantastic seeing each one of them come into their own and develop. I read this all in one sitting and enjoyed it the whole way, not bored once throughout the whole thing!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Drop of Romeo Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea