Thursday, July 12, 2012

Shooting From the Hip

Posted by A Drop of Romeo at 2:58 PM
Shooting From the Hip by cu-kid
She fell in love with him the minute she saw him. No. That wasn't true. She hated him the instant he opened his mouth. That, at least, might have been a little more accurate. For the most part, anyway...
Banner Credit: Melissa

Rosie Thinks: I see this story around fictionpress all the time but I never read it until recently. And let me just say, I hope no one else makes the same mistake as me - read it as soon as possible! I couldn't help but be pulled in from the beginning, especially by the self-reflective allegory at the start. cu-kid writes beautifully and her ideas are gold. This story could've easily fallen into overused cliches but cu-kid keeps it fresh and makes the reader want more and more. The whole story, as a result, is completely original and keeps the reader on his/her toes with all the twists and turns.

It's in both Sera and Griffin's POVs, both in third person. I loved how she wrote Griffin - she let the reader into his mind but only gave you hints at his past. Griffin, despite being cynical and a bit cold, has a weakness for helping 'damsels in distress'. He comes across as untouchable at the beginning but the more I read about him, the more I realised just how well-rounded a character he is. Sera is fiercely independent, stubborn and sure of herself, but she is very likeable as a character and her stubbornness isn't annoying.

Their chemistry is amazing and I just loved reading about interactions between Sera and Griffin. Their whole relationship just flows and it developed at a perfect pace. The detail and the description throughout the story is consistently of a high standard as cu-kid has a special way with words. This story hooks the reader in and you really do get emotionally involved with the whole thing.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if this is considered bad form or not, posting a comment on a review about my work, but I just wanted to say thank you so much! I was touched and amazed by what you had to say about my story, and I think I even teared up a bit :)
    Thank you again!
    ~cu-kid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, we absolutely LOVE receiving feedback on the reviews. Thank you so much for taking the time of day to respond to it. :) You're an incredible writer.

      Delete

 

A Drop of Romeo Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea