Sunday, December 9, 2012

Giving Chase

Posted by A Drop of Romeo at 7:06 PM
Since the posting of this review, this story has been removed from FictionPress by the author.

There's only ever been one man in Frankie's life: her father. Until she meets fellow jockey Rhys Bradford. They both want the same thing, to win horse racing's biggest steeplechase, the Grand National. With secrets and betrayal abounding Frankie's relationships with the men in her life are put to the ultimate test.
Banner Credit: Ali

Rosie Thinks: This story, like its predecessor, focuses on the world of National Hunt racing in England and the tumultuous relationship between top jockey Rhys and amateur jockey Frankie. I could tell from the very start that Hannah221 really knew what she was talking about, in regards to the racing world. All the racing scenes are described in such detail that you can tell she is really passionate about it. She doesn't use a whole lot of jargon, either, which makes it all easier to understand. I like horse racing but I've never been that into it, or even known much about National Hunt racing - hannah221, however, makes me want to be obsessed with it! I also very much advise looking up some photos or videos of this type of horse racing - it is pretty insane! Plus, it made me gain a deeper understanding of Frankie's feelings.

I liked how this story was so much more than the romance: it dealt with the racing industry, a number of family issues, and growing up. The journey that Frankie made from start to finish was noticeable and well portrayed. I really like Frankie's character, which is made even more interesting since she is a jockey. It was great getting an insight into the harsh pressure and her life. I like how she isn't similar to the other MCs of hannah221's stories either, so her personality is very clear-cut in my mind. Rhys was a well-developed, three-dimensional character as well, and I liked how he was a bit mysterious until the end.

This whole story is a great example of a perfectly paced, well thought out story. 'Giving Chase' was extremely well structured and not one scene seemed like a filler - they were all exciting, especially the beautifully written racing scenes! Hannah221 keeps you at the edge of the seat with the suspense, leaving tiny clues but not giving any of her twists away until the end. The only problem I could find was that sometimes there were paragraph breaks where they were not really needed. I understood that sometimes they were for dramatic effect, but other times they seemed a bit pointless. Although this story is sequel to 'Keeping the Peace' and, while I have read that one first, I don't think it'll effect your read if you start at this one (other than spoiling the ending of the first one, though). This story is definitely a well-crafted and engaging story that will take you on a roller-coaster of emotions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Drop of Romeo Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea