Sunday, June 9, 2013

Lock & Key

Posted by A Drop of Romeo at 11:08 AM
When an American boy commands you to kiss him, you usually don't run away and hide in the 6th arrondissement until he leaves.
Banner Credit: Melissa


Ali Thinks: Amélie is a poor girl and has been tasked by Monsieur to steal one hundred locks from the Pont des Arts, a bridge where people attach love padlocks. Since Monsieur is the only reason she has food to eat and a place to live, she does it to make sure that she will continue to have those luxuries. She is ordered to get a hundred of these locks, but before she can collect them all, she sees that she's not alone. And who interrupts her other than the equally foolish and rich American boy in the river, trying to find the key of the lock he put up for his (now ex) girlfriend.

Personally, I don't think that a summary— mine nor The Smile Machine's— gives "Lock & Key" enough justice. It's whimsical and clever, and that is something that can't be shown from even the greatest summary in the world.

My only criticism, since I feel like I have to have one to make this less fan-girly, would have to be that it's a bit far-fetched (emphasis on the bit). But, despite its grounds not being 100% (I'd give it a 91%) realistic, I'd like to call it 'creative liberty' and not 'unrealistic' because while I felt like some elements didn't seem like they would actually happen, it didn't make me feel anything negative toward the story at all.

On the other hand, I've got tons of things I could rave about. I love that it's set in Paris. I love the Parisian feel that came along with it. I love that Amélie was more than just some poor girl stealing some locks. I love that Marcus was trying to fetch a key out of water in the dead of night. I love that I've never read anything like this. I love that I just knew I had to write a review about it before I finished part one.

As a self-proclaimed indecisive ignoramus, 'just knowing' that I love a story before it's over is a huge deal that doesn't happen very often. Usually it takes contemplation, re-reading, and a little more (read: a lot more) contemplation. With "Lock & Key" this wasn't the case; I fell in love, and I fell in love fast. I mean it, one day when I go to Paris, I'm definitely buying a lock from the dollar store and writing "Ali + 'Lock & Key' by The Smile Machine" on it, because it's just that good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Drop of Romeo Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea