Friday, June 2, 2017

Chaos Station (Chaos Station #1)

Posted by A Drop of Romeo at 1:00 PM

Age: Adult / Young Adult
Category: Science Fiction / LGBTQIA+
Rating: 4 stars


Rosie Thinks: I may have mentioned this before, but I never, EVER read sci-fi. Unless it's m/m, but I read everything that's m/m. I think of sci-fi as too technical for a communications major like me to grasp, and generally have no interest in reading chunks of scientific explanations. So, obviously, this book stayed on my to-reads list for a very long time until I cracked it open. And it had to prove me wrong about sci-fi!

This book is based around two men who were best friends, and then lovers for only a few days before being torn apart. Each thinks the other is dead, until a series of coincidences brings Zander aboard the ship that Felix is a mechanic on. The scenes between the two MCs were beautiful and well-paced, but this book is equally about the other, more action-based storyline. Zander was part of a team of super soldiers before the government cut him loose, and when he sees one of his old teammates in trouble, he races to find her.

The world-building in this is pretty awesome, in the way that Burke only gives you bits and pieces, so it never felt like technical stuff was being crammed down my throat. She did the same with the characters, only revealing their personalities and histories slowly, so it came across as more showing than telling. The secondary characters were awesome, and not one of them felt like a plot device. It isn't an enormous cast, but Burke keeps the action flowing at a fast pace.

This is the first book in the series, and I flew through the next two. The fourth just came out and I'm super excited to read it, and also super excited that I haven't gotten sick of this series yet! So be warned, that these two characters and the awesome plot-making skills of Burke are addictive.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Drop of Romeo Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea