Thursday, July 12, 2012

Unrequited

Posted by A Drop of Romeo at 2:30 PM
So I was going to the prom with a guy I had a crush on for three years. Perfect, right? Nothing could go wrong. But then his best girl friend in the universe asks him. Dr. Phil, where are you when I need you?
Banner Credit: Atramento

Annie Thinks: This is definitely one of my favorite one-shots ever. I remember reading it for the first time and then laying around in frustration after it ended, believing I would never find another story like it ever again. It wasn't just the plot that was different--it was the amazing characters, the sparkling dialogue, and the perfect descriptions of emotions. It was the way it was all of the things that make a story of any length good--cute, sad, relatable, funny, and frustrating.

It's about Stephanie, who has been in love with her friend Charlie for three years. She finally thinks she has the chance to tell him how she feels by going to prom with him... until cute, artistic Katie asks him too. Stephanie makes a selfless decision by having Charlie go to prom with her, and in the end, it works out for her too.

Usually, when a character in a story is supposed to be oblivious to another's feelings, it comes across as unbelievable. In Unrequited, though, it's very realistic. In fact, I, as a reader, was almost as surprised as Steph (probably) was at the end.

Speaking of Stephanie, she was another thing that I loved about this one-shot. She was a very likable character, which is certainly good considering she's the main character. She was bubbly and sweet, and she dealt with her struggles quietly and privately, which I think many of us can relate to. She is so selfless and kind--which is increasingly rare, both in fiction and in real life.

Unrequited is a sweet, believable read. I don't know if I would exactly call it light and fluffy, but it's more on that side of the line between light and dark. I one hundred percent recommend this one-shot. Although there were mistakes, I think they can be overlooked because of the wonderful characters and storyline.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Drop of Romeo Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea