Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Way to a Man's Heart is Clearly Food Analogies

Posted by A Drop of Romeo at 6:42 PM
Belle's surefire ways to get a guy: 1, Write his name on your hand. 2, Lure him in with jelly beans. If it works for kids, it works for men. And 3, recite your many witty food analogies. He won't be able to resist.
Banner Credit: Casey

Annie Thinks: I'm not going to lie, it took me a while to warm up to this one-shot. The male MC, Andrei, wasn't very likable, it moved too fast, and sometimes the author got phrases mixed up (which is a BIG pet peeve of mine). As I read it, it started to worry me--how was I going to write a review for it if I don't have anything nice to say? Luckily, my opinion of the story completely changed.

My favorite thing about this one-shot is the main character, Belle. She's quirky and dorky in a cute way, but she never seems fake. She's a good friend, but not a pushover. And I loved loved loved the awkward moments she got herself into! After awhile, I even began to like Andrei. He was sort of that clichè hot guy--arrogant and possibly too confident in his pursuit of Belle's heart. One thing that bothered me about Andrei was that he seemed to take a complete 180 degree turn in the middle of the story--he went from creeped out by Belle to totally enamored with her.

Still, for all its faults, there were many good things about it as well. The dialogue was realistic and humorous. The characters were believable. Belle's narrative voice was hilarious--I was giggling throughout the whole one-shot! It was the perfect length as well, and although there were some grammar and spelling mistakes, there wasn't enough to really distract the reader from the story. Overall, The Way to A Man's Heart is Clearly Food Analogies is very sweet, and for all its faults it has even more redeeming qualities. And it certainly helps that the main character has the same name as my favorite Disney princess!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Drop of Romeo Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea