Thursday, July 25, 2013

Bollinger High

Posted by A Drop of Romeo at 10:46 PM
Jess Evans moved to Bollinger at the start of her junior year of high school. As the new girl in a town of the wealthy and the elite, she just wants to fit in. But that might prove to be impossible once she catches the eye of the enigmatic Nolan Barnes.
Banner Credit: Casey


Ali Thinks: Let's be completely honest here, I picked a suggestion to read at random and consequently groaned when this one was picked. I'm not really a fan of the poor-girl-in-rich-school-who-catches-hot-guy's-attention stories. Lucky for me, Bollinger High wasn't that story, well, not really. For those of you who are like me and would rather evade the poor-girl-in-rich-school-who-catches-hot-guy's-attention tales in search of basically anything else, listen close because I'm here to blow your mind.

Not really, but "you should really read this story!" doesn't exactly have the same ring to it.

Though I didn't realize it at first, I was approaching this story the same way our protagonist, Jessica ("Jess" only to family and friends, meaning not Nolan Barnes), was approaching Bollinger High. She expected to be surrounded by stereotypes, and through the story as she get to know people there better, she realizes that's not the case.

First off, Alaina Brandon, is probably my favorite thing in the world other than getting the charger into my phone on the first try. She runs the school "like a puppet show," according to Nolan, and she does it well. But she's not your average bitchy/rich/pretty queen bee. True, she has all of those qualities, but the way justmaybe characterizes her makes her a very complex, very likable character, with only a few instances wanting to punch her in the face.

Second off, Nolan Barnes. Insert cat-calls, girlish shrieks, fainting, etc. here. From the second he "curled his mouth" at her not ten minutes after she entered Bollinger, Jess didn't like him. He's hot, but he looks like he has no cares in the world and he was pretty sure he was too rich to function. But, then they come biology partners. (I promise I was telling the truth when I said this wasn't the poor-girl-in-rich-school-who-catches-hot-guy's-attention story.)

In essence, the same way Alaina and Nolan and everyone else in Bollinger weren't the stereotypes Jess made them out to be, Bollinger High wasn't the boring cliché I thought it was. It made me laugh, the characters were fun to read about, and it's just an all around good story that I feel everyone — especially the cynics like me— should read.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Drop of Romeo Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea