Thursday, July 25, 2013

Open Season

Posted by A Drop of Romeo at 10:51 PM
you never really realize just how much you appreciate something until its gone. In Jake's case, he doesn't realize he loves his best friend until she starts ignoring him.
Banner Credit: marta

Brittany Thinks: Open Season is fairly short, - only a little over 1,000 words - but ares the olympian manages to capture an entire

The first thing that captured me when I sat down to read this one shot was the wording. There's a comfortable flow to the story, almost like lyrics fit to a melody. A few of the sentences were so beautifully crafted that I found myself annoyed I hadn't written them. ares the olympian's author's note said she wrote the story in fifteen minutes, inspired by a song she was listening to. We all have those moments as authors where something needs to get out of us and we can't concentrate until it's down on paper. That kind of writing is always better, pure, developed from a place of complete artistry and need. I think that's why this story managed to resonate for me so quickly. Readers don't really know Jake except in his relation to Mel, but Mel is a fairly well developed character. By the end, you feel like you know her. It was fascinating for me to meet the character of Mel so fully through the eyes of her best friend. We should all be so lucky as to have someone who admires us so much and knows us so well. The only thing I find myself wanting after this story is more! Check it out for a quick, light read and happy reading!
friendship within a few paragraphs. Written as an open letter from a guy, Jake, to his best friend, Mel, readers fall in love with Mel through Jake's eyes. His words are part apology, part confession, and part total and complete admiration of a person obviously significant to him. I can't say too much else about this without giving spoilers, so you'll have to read to find out what happened between Mel and Jake.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Drop of Romeo Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea